NAVAJO FREIGHT LINES DENVER, CO
Kansas in November 1934. The name was then changed to the Kansas City-Los Angeles
Flyer Transport Co. to better promote the company’s east-west terminal points. It did not
become Navajo Freight Lines until July 1940 when the firm was purchased by Mitchell B.
Howe commissioned a sign painter to do a portrait of a Navajo Indian for his new trucking
company office. When the painting was done, it was discovered that the artist painted in
blue eyes such as no full-blooded Indian has ever had. Instead of changing the color of
the eyes, Howe felt that the blue-eyed Indian got attention and made people remember
the company better. Navajo came to be known as the “Route of the Blue-Eyed Indian.”
The earliest symbol on the fronts of the trailers showed a chief in full headdress.
MOTOR CARGO, INC. AKRON, OH
Owen O. Orr began hauling rubber out of Akron, OH with three trucks in 1930. This was
the beginning of the Akron Motor Cargo Company which used a fully headdressed Indian
as its symbol early on.
Motor Cargo would grow to operate 587 tractors (mostly International V-195 and R-195
Roadliners), 675 trailers, and 413 pickup and delivery units. In 1956, it was the eighth
largest trucking company in the nation.
By 1956, operating revenues grew to $22 million and Motor Cargo moved 1 and a half
Billion pounds of freight through their 19 terminals. Operating routes were in a 13 state
area from New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore west to St. Paul, Des Moines, and St.
In 1956, Motor Cargo built their massive $1 million, 3011-foot Akron-Cleveland terminal.
At the time, this terminal was termed as one of the midwest’s largest